Thursday, May 24, 2018

The Fall

today was field day. a day i look forward to spending with my class every year. it's a day when you get to loosen up a little with your students. a day when you don't mind them being noisy in a hallway. a day when you don't mind them breaking out into the Floss dance all over the school. it's a day when you finally get the opportunity to see your class come together more as a little family and we take a break from the daily routine in the classroom. it is an exhausting day, but always a memorable one. and today's field day had an ending that i will never forget.

let me start by sharing that every year our school does a teacher 4x100 meter relay at the end of field day. all of the students, teachers, and parents gather on the bleachers to cheer on runners. teachers are responsible for finding their teammates and forming the relay team. this year i struggled getting a team together. i was able to coax a couple teacher friends in joining my relay and i volunteered to run 200 meters and the rest of the crew run 100 meters. this was the plan until the last minute when a teacher decided to join our team from the stands and be our anchor leg! i was so excited to have a complete team!

i was the lead off runner and got in position in the 6th lane, which in my opinion is the worst lane... but today was life saving. the whistle blew and i took off. i felt like i was in high school/college again running on the track. i pumped both my arms (thank goodness i was sweating and my pants stayed up) and ran the fastest my legs could carry me. my mind was in college again... however, i quickly realized my team was not. i ran full speed up until the second leg. she looked at me ready to go, but i couldn't slow myself down enough to pass off the baton... and before i knew it i ran into her. it was a scene. i somehow ended up in the grass (see... lane 6 was live saving) with my feet up in the air against the fence. and my second leg friend...wiped out on the track and got some track burn! she quickly got up and ran her leg as fast as she could. i also quickly got up and looked over at the bleachers with up to 500 people looking at my direction. i decided to check on my second leg friend before i headed back for what i like to call "the walk of shame." luckily she was fine and we both laughed hysterically at the whole wipe out.

we went together back towards the bleachers laughing hoping this would make people realize we were fine and hopefully move on from the whole incident. however, we were checked on. by teachers. by parents. and of course students. it was probably one of the most embarrassing moments i have ever been through, yet i can't stop chuckling about it every time i think about it!

now... if only i knew how the whole race ended... someone must have it on camera somewhere...  🙈

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...