Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Approaching Race Day

It feels like just yesterday when i heard i was picked to run the Broad Street 10 miler. i thought the chances were slim for me to be chosen in the lottery. i was laying in bed on that cold day in February when i got the news. i remember thinking to myself, "how the heck was i going to find time to run? how am i going to train for this race? what have i gotten myself into?"

i had to come up with a plan... a training plan to help me get to the finish line on May 6th. luckily the Philly News had a ten week training program for newbies. beginners. and a beginner i was. i tried to run over the summer using the Couch to 5K app... but i failed with the heat and a hurt hip. and the last time i ran a race... was in 2006. when i crossed the finish line with a time of 3:48ish at the Philadelphia Marathon.  Twelve years ago!

 i had to accept that i would not run broad street fast. my goal was just to finish the ten miles without stopping.  so on a cold, dark february night...week 1 of the program...i did my first run... really slow... 2.5 miles...15 minutes a mile pace and i almost died. i had no idea how i was going to get 10 miles completed! i continued increasing my speed and miles as the weeks went on. i got hit hard with the flu for a couple weeks in march which was challenging to recover from, but i was able to keep focused on my goal... finishing Broad Street.

now the race is only a few days away. i am getting excited. i am excited to be with a group of runners. i am excited to race again. i'm excited that i am a "runner" again. here's hoping i meet my goal... and also hoping i fall back in love with one of my first loves... running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...